I layed there in the dark with her arms around my neck. I couldn't see her, I could just hear her breathing. I started to drift asleep and in my half asleep mind I pictured Adaliah as a teenager....like I was jumping forward into time for a moment.
I layed there thinking about how fast time goes by. How many more times will I get to lay in bed and snuggle with Adaliah as she falls asleep? How much longer until I'm not the number one person she'll want to spend her weekends with? For a moment I felt like everything was put into perspective. When I'm old and Adaliah is all grown up- am I going to remember all the times I did the dishes and cleaned the house? No. I'll remember sitting in Adaliah's room for hours playing paper dolls and teddy bears and laughing our heads off together during tickle fights. I need to prioritize my days better.
I wish I could grab those little moments and put them someplace safe so I can live them over and over again someday.
For example- yesterday we drove Pete to the temple and somehow Pete ended up going into the temple with the car keys- leaving me and the two girls stranded.
The temple is a perfect place to be if your stranded. We walked around the grounds a few times and then found a shady spot to sit. My two girls didn't have a care in the world. Adaliah gathered the fall leaves, sang songs, danced, told me stories, and said hi to all of the people that passed. It's easy to forget all your worries and frustrations when you have children to remind you to enjoy the moment.
2 comments:
You have had a great epiphany! I LOVED being a Mom for all those reasons, the hugs and snuggles and story time, and adventures together. I think I kept having kids so I would have that still as I learned something about raising older kids.
NOt consciously maybe - I just liked having lots of kids = but that was how it worked out. I would rather play with kids, do a craft or project wit h them, or go on an adventure than clean house any day. You are lucky that you can do both = or have a hubby home enough to help you do both. I love the mother that you are, the parents that you are, to those sweet grandbsbies!
Bekah, you're so awesome. I need to enjoy this moments more as well. I spend too much of my day in the "Zone" is what I call it. The, "I have to get the dishes, the groceries, the cleaning, etc done" Instead of just relaxing and enjoying time with my girls. However, I am constantly trying to learn how to be a better mother and how to keep my girls stimulated and learning. I have a lot to learn and I am learning it each day from being a mother. They definitely do grow up too fast. We love you guys and hope we can see you over the holidays.
Post a Comment