Today we were out shopping for clothes and I overheard a conversation between two teenage girls..
Girl 1 : I can’t believe your mom wouldn’t let you wear that! (talking about some sleazy article of clothing) Your mom is honestly crazy.
Girl 2: I know she is! Maybe I could keep a separate wardrobe at your house for party nights.
Girl 1: okay! Do it!
Girl 2: (Takes the sleazy article off the rack.)
I’ve heard all kinds of conversations similar to this…but today it hit me in a very new way. I looked down at the carseat where my little Adaliah was peacefully sleeping, and my eyes filled with tears. I was suddenly completely overwhelmed with the thought of being a mother.
What was I thinking bringing her into this crazy world?! Is she going to be strong enough to make it? Am I’m prepared to teach her how to love the gospel and live by its standards? Is she going to hate me someday like most teenagers hate their moms?
Wow! If the world is this crazy now, where will it be in 13-17 years from now? I suddenly want to run away and freeze time and just love my baby girl forever.
But because I can’t do that…I’ll have to do the next best thing. I’ll have to keep studying, praying, having family night, going to the temple, and all those other Sunday school answers. Then I just have to hope for the best. It’s scary!
But because I can’t do that…I’ll have to do the next best thing. I’ll have to keep studying, praying, having family night, going to the temple, and all those other Sunday school answers. Then I just have to hope for the best. It’s scary!
(ps- on a lighter note… am I too old to be shopping at the same store as 15 year olds… I’m only 21 but I’m the only person carrying around a car seat and asking my husband for his opinion. I don’t know where I belong anymore. Haha)
4 comments:
Bek- You are one of the strongest ladies I know. I can't help but think that little Adaliah is extra blessed because you and Pete are her parents! It is a scary realization, but keep doing what you are doing and I think she will be ok :)
So scary. I am student teaching at a middle school and it just about breaks my heart when I hear what some of the students are saying and doing. I just want to lock them in the classroom and not let them out until they promise to stop ruining their lives.
I hope that you, Adaliah, and Pete are doing well!
It really is a crazy, scary world! I'm glad I don't have to think about my daughter wanting to wear sleezy clothes (yet. I'm sure I'll have a girl some day), but I have to worry about my little boy growing up and being nice to girls and not a punk and whatever else teenage boys do. So scary! But..like you said, we can only do our best and all of the Sunday School answers.
Also. I'm SO with you on shopping. I have no clue where to go??
I don't know about you but that whole shopping feeling hit me the same way with hanging out with my single friends. When I got married being around single people felt weird and I am too young for most church members that have families, kinda right there in the inbetween and it is not a fun place to be unless you have friends in the same situation. That is my two cents and will get off the soap box now....you are not the only one with those fears though, I worry about the same things with my daughter.
Post a Comment