Service:
After an amazing lesson in Relief Society on Sunday my mind has been stuck on the topic of service. Service is something that I've always wished I was better at. I wished it came more naturally. I wish I was one of those people that could just sense when people need help and be there before they even have to ask. But guess what? I'm not. But I want more than ever to keep striving to become that person.
Sometimes it is overwhelming... we have siblings that need help, parents, neighbors, fellow ward members, distant family, leaders, friends, the people we visit teach... and that is on top of the daily needs of our own husbands and children.
But i have been continually humbled by people that have been so sweet to serve me even when they had they're own busy lives to worry about. I realize there is no excuse. If you let the Lord know that you are willing and ready to serve- he will make a way for you to do it. He will lead you to those that need help.
There is one friend in my ward that has been SUCH an example to me of this. I moved into the ward and she sat by me in relief society the first day. The next week she invited me over for lunch. She found out we had a common interest in working out and she started picking me up every moning to go to the gym. She was later assigned to be my visiting teacher and there hasn't been a month that she's missed, and it's not just a quick message and she's out the door. She's brought me freshed baked bread when I've been sick. When I was having the hardest month of my life she told me she felt inspired to call me and see how I was doing. This is someone who probably prays for me individually and is in-tune of my needs. I'm NOT somebody who would ever ask for help- but with her I don't need too. She seems to already know.
I wish I could be that person. I have the most amazing visiting teachers yet I find myself missing month after month visiting my ladies. I have friends that call on days that i really need a friend yet I fail to do the same for them. I have family members dropping everything to help me- yet I don't do it enough in return.
So today is a great day to start trying harder.....
4 comments:
That's awesome that you have such a wonderful Visiting Teacher. Don;t be so hard on yourself Bekah. You are always willing to come and help Judge dance tryouts and drive all the way to Provo to see us with very little notice. I think you serve a lot more than you realize. Each day you are constantly doing things to serve Dali. I agree, each day is a day to get better and we should, but don't get discouraged. The Lord wants us to become perfect, but not all at once and not even in this life. :-) We have eternity to become just like him.
Sorry, I don't believe it! I've seen you do some incredible service for your siblings just in the last few months a lone. Sometimes we just don't realize what affect we have on the people around us. What you may see as nothing, others see as a miracle. You're amazing, Bek!
Bekah, I know just how you feel - however, at the same time - I totally disagree with you. You are such an example of service to me and you always have been. I wish I was more like you.
Also, what are you up to over the next couple weeks? I'm thinking we definitely need to get together.
Oh girl! You are constantly helping me out. I thought Service was your middle name. No Seriously - is it not?! :)
You are a wonderful person and neighbor. Thanks for being a fabulous example to me.
Post a Comment