I have been training for my sprint triathlon for almost 4 months now. With the training, I've really been trying to increase my running speed. I signed up for the Thanksgiving Point 5k with the hope that I would do my personal best- my goal was to do between 7:30-7:45 min miles.
Well 6 days before the race I got sick. The entire family got sick. Fevers, aches, sore throats, coughs, runny noses... (I think there has only been a handful of weeks in 2013 that we've all been healthy..rrrr)
I was bummed- but still determined to run even though I didn't get to do any training the week of the race. Then Saturday morning I woke up to get ready and I was even more sick...adding a stomach bug to the bad cold. I was pretty disappointed.
But I went for it anyway... my lungs killing, snot running down my face, and feeling extremely barfy. Oh! And my shoe lace came untied in the first 2 mins of the race. It just wan't in the cards for me to reach my goal.
Pete ran with me- which made it fun. He made me laugh all morning long even though I felt horrible and then ran with me for the first two miles. (then left me in the dust for the third)
Typical Pete- I trained for 4 months to get faster and with very little training at all he still beat my time by almost 1 1/2 mins. He did amazing.
I ended up getting 2nd in my age group- but I didn't come close to my goal, I averaged a 8:13 min mile.
It was a fun morning even though I was a little discouraged. Pete's parents and brother Chris came to watch and take care of the girls while we ran. We're so lucky to have them close and always count on them to be there to help out and cheer us on.
Let's hope for good health for the Tri. I've only got 3 weeks left until race day. I'm getting pretty excited!
1 comment:
Bekah! You are amazing. I am so impressed.
Post a Comment